Housing Disrepair and Personal Injury Arising From Housing Disrepair

If you are a tenant and live in a rented property, the landlord has a duty to keep the property in a reasonable state of repair to ensure it is suitable to be lived in. Disrepair can arise at a rented property if there is damp and/or mould, faulty electrics, failed window glazing, structural cracks, missing or loose roof tiles or exposed brickwork with un-pointed mortar to name a few examples.

The government has published a press release on 29th March 2022 which states that sub-standard social housing landlords are to be publicly shamed if they fail to meet standards as part of a reform to provide tenants and residents with the chance to raise their concerns and increase the standards. This means that if a social housing landlord fails to provide reasonable accommodation, they could be named publicly on the government’s website and across social media channels. The government also plans to create a Residential Panel that will allow tenants who live in social housing to raise their concerns. About 250 social tenants from across England will be invited to share their experiences with the government via the Residential Panel. These reforms about the standard of social housing will be delivered via legislation and aims to hold social landlords to account for the homes and services they deliver. The long term aim is to ensure the number of non-decent homes is reduced by fifty percent by 2030.

If you are a council or housing association tenant and are suffering with Housing Disrepair, you may have a claim against your landlord for Housing Disrepair if they fail to keep the property in a good state of repair. If you have complained to your landlord and they have failed to repair the property, we may be able to help to get your landlord to complete the repairs. If you do have a claim for Housing Disrepair, not only will the landlord be legally obliged to complete the repairs, they will also have to pay you compensation for the period of time you have lived with this disrepair from the moment the landlord was informed of the disrepair and failed to rectify the same. If you wish to discuss whether you have a claim for Housing Disrepair, please contact our Housing Disrepair team on 0151 677 3999.

In some case, tenants and residents who have been living with housing disrepair can suffer personal injury as a result of the condition of the property. If you consider you have been affected by this, please contact our Housing Disrepair Personal Injury team to discuss further on 0151 677 3999.

Unsure if you have a claim?

Speak to our team to find out if you are eligible. We'll explain everything in a Jargon-free conversation.